IDEAS, DECISIONS & LESSONS

Journal

Notes on AI, architecture and building useful products.

10 articles

18 Sep 2026 · 8 min read

agentic engineering

I read 30 competitors for Hive and decided to build one feature: Routines, verified recurring work

One day reading n8n, Dify, CrewAI, LangGraph, Paperclip, Lindy, AgentKit and two dozen other agent products to answer one question: what do small teams actually pay for? Not orchestration. They pay for a repeated job that runs correctly, gets checked, and doesn't wreck the bill. Here is the feature I chose to build for Hive, and the list of things I decided not to build.

Read more

27 Aug 2026 · 4 min read

agent architecture

How xAI Builds Grok — and How I'd Build a Grok of My Own

Grok isn't a model, it's an agent system: tools trained into the reasoning, real-time X and web search on xAI's infra, a four-agent cross-verifying architecture, long-running agents. I break down its features, architecture, and safety harness — then map each piece to a component I can build self-hosted on a subscription I already pay for.

Read more

25 Aug 2026 · 4 min read

agent architecture

Don't Choose Your Coding Agent — Make It a Plug-In

I already run a self-hosted autonomous engineer. When I wanted Cursor's cloud agents too, I didn't pick one — I made the executor swappable. Here's the integration architecture that turns any hosted coding agent into a first-class engine behind my own surface, in four small pieces.

Read more

21 Aug 2026 · 7 min read

agentic engineering

I Built a Self-Hosted Devin -- The Architecture of an Autonomous Engineer You Own

Devin costs $500/mo. Cursor's background agents live in someone else's cloud with your code. So I built the same capability on my own machines, on a Claude subscription I already pay for. Here is the full architecture -- the loop, the data model, the six-phase build, the hardening -- and why 70% of it was infrastructure I already had.

Read more