IDEAS, DECISIONS & LESSONS

Journal

Notes on AI, architecture and building useful products.

166 articles

30 Aug 2026 · 4 min read

ai-agents

Anthropic's Model Hardware Standard: What It Means When Agents Get Hands

Anthropic's Aug 27 research preview of MHS gives AI agents a standard interface to operate lab and manufacturing hardware. As a Tech Lead who has wired MCP servers to internal tools, here's why this is MCP's shape applied to physical devices — and what breaks when the tool call controls a centrifuge instead of a database.

Read more

27 Aug 2026 · 4 min read

agent architecture

How xAI Builds Grok — and How I'd Build a Grok of My Own

Grok isn't a model, it's an agent system: tools trained into the reasoning, real-time X and web search on xAI's infra, a four-agent cross-verifying architecture, long-running agents. I break down its features, architecture, and safety harness — then map each piece to a component I can build self-hosted on a subscription I already pay for.

Read more

26 Aug 2026 · 4 min read

agentic engineering

You Can't Ship Agents on Vibes — Evals for Agentic Systems

A one-line prompt tweak can silently break an agent, and you won't notice until a user does. My fix is an eval harness: a golden set of inputs and checks, run against every agent and workflow on every change. Here's the anatomy — deterministic checks, LLM-as-judge, run-on-change regression, and grading multi-agent workflows.

Read more

25 Aug 2026 · 4 min read

agent architecture

Don't Choose Your Coding Agent — Make It a Plug-In

I already run a self-hosted autonomous engineer. When I wanted Cursor's cloud agents too, I didn't pick one — I made the executor swappable. Here's the integration architecture that turns any hosted coding agent into a first-class engine behind my own surface, in four small pieces.

Read more